What makes your day beautiful? What do you think about when you retire for the evening? Do you smile looking back at something that happened during the day? It might be a small thing, and that’s where the beauty lies.
“Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you’ll look back and realize they were the big things.”
This quote has stuck with me since the first time I saw it. And it just makes so much sense.
Throughout the day or week, your routine is most likely set and the little things happening during that time are the ones that are making a difference. We often miss those little things.
- The days when I wake up fresh and early and eat breakfast.
- The days when my grandkids are here and want to hear a story.
- Good beard day. When I can’t stop admiring myself in the mirror.
- That perfect cup of British tea.
- Meeting a friend I haven’t seen in a long time.
- A very refreshing walk around the block when it’s not too hot.
- A hearty conversation with a lodge brother.
- My wife’s smile when she sees the work I’ve done.
- Watching the birds bath and feed in the front yard.
- Writing. Poem or article.
- A drive around Laden Trail on a cool evening.
- Staring outside the window with a nice mug of coffee or brisk tea.
- Cooking something successfully, without burning down the kitchen.
- Eating healthy the whole day. No junk food. Happy body. Happy mind.
- Swinging the grandkids on the swing set.
- When good songs play on radio and the traffic is horrible.
- Crazy laughter sessions with friends.
- A nice and soothing talk with family.
- Watching a nice movie, curled up under the blanket with a dip in the lip.
These are just small things that seem to impact my life a lot.
I usually sit at night just before retiring and smile recalling these. These little things give hope and strength for doing more and doing better.
Notice the little things around. Notice the small things that give you happiness, even if it is a minute short. If something makes your soul smile, note it and make sure you include it as part of your routine.
Life is made up of moments. And if you can collect these moments, you will never feel alone.
When there are days when nothing seems to be going your way and everything seems messy. The work, the relationships, the mind — everything seems difficult and hard. On these days, you need to bring in the things that would require no effort to give you some strength to go through these days. The Lord provides us with these little things to give us encouragement.
The magic of starting to focus on these little things is that you will gradually shift your thoughts from what is missing in your life to what is there. It will create a little positive loop in your brain feeding you with motivation and energy. You will start to create your own happiness bit by bit.
And that’s how you start paving your way from these little things towards greatness that you desire from within.
The little things are the biggest things and definitely the best things.